The man accused of killing five members of the Lin family will spend Christmas behind bars after the decision to grant him bail was overturned.
Justice Stephen Rothman today denied bail after the Director of Public Prosecutions appealed against Magistrate John Andrews's initial decision to grant bail to Lian Bin "Robert" Xie.
Mr Xie appeared in the Supreme Court of NSW to hear Justice Rothman hand down his decision. Mr Xie is committed to stand trial over the 2009 killings.
On Friday, during the appeal hearing, the senior Crown prosecutor, Mark Tedeschi, QC, said the conclusion that DNA evidence had weakened the case was wrong.
"If your honour considers all the DNA evidence ... the only real conclusion is that there are, deposited on the accused's floor, the blood of at least four of these victims including at least one of the females," Mr Tedeschi told Justice Stephen Rothman.
Mr Xie's barrister, Lester Fernandez, had argued "fundamental matters" in the Crown case could not be proved.
Mr Xie, 48, is charged with murdering his brother-in-law, Min "Norman" Lin, 45, Mr Lin's wife, Yun Li "Lily" Lin, 43, her sister, Yun Bin "Irene" Yin, 39, and two boys, aged nine and 12, who cannot be named for legal reasons.
Their bodies were found in a North Epping house, in Sydney's northwest, on July 18, 2009.
They had been beaten to death with a hammer-like object, while the cause of death for four of the victims also included asphyxia.
The story Bail denied for man accused of Lin family killings first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.