THERE was much excitement after the announcement of a multi-million dollar upgrade of the carpentry and joinery workshop at Cooma TAFE in May last year, but since then not a lot has happened.
The NSW minister for education Adrian Piccoli and member for Monaro John Barilaro visited the Cooma campus in May to announce the construction of a new purpose-built carpentry and joinery workshop.
Mr Piccoli said, "The planning process starts immediately and the first sod will be turned next year in July with a completion date set for August 2014."
However, 15 months on, member for Monaro John Barilaro said tenders for the multi-million dollar carpentry and joinery workshop were still being evaluated.
"Public Works have advised that a contract is anticipated to be awarded on September 13," Mr Barilaro said.
Tenders for the project, estimated to be worth $5 million, were called on July 1 this year and closed on August 15.
"This new investment at the Cooma TAFE Campus announced in May last year, will support future economic and employment opportunities by providing a more effective learning environment for students.
"I look forward to seeing the project unfold and I am pleased that this project will help to deliver a new generation of skilled carpenters for the region," he said.