Red Devils win one, lose one 

Cooma Red Devils took on Hall on Saturday afternoon at Rotary Oval and came away with mixed results with reserve grade going down in a tough encounter while first grade had a comprehensive victory.

Reserve Grade

Reserve grade took to the field full of running but it was Hall who came out and belted Cooma off the ball. Within the first five minutes Hall had crashed through some soft tackles to score the opening points. This kicked Cooma into action and Cooma started applying pressure to Hall but silly penalties were letting any pressure off and allowing Hall to get out of their own end.

Cooma reduced the score line when Nathan Boate kicked a penalty goal. This motivated the Red Devils and playing with a strong wind behind them, they were able to get back into the Hall end on the back of some good running from Aron Rogers, Ed Ingram, Phil Johnson and Mark Fraser.

Getting across the advantage line Cooma scored out wide when Pat Dorahy got on the end of a good backline movement after the forwards had set a good platform and were able to supply quick ball. The conversion was missed and Hall went into half time leading 10-8 after they scored another try just before the break.

Cooma came out in the second half looking to reduce the gap but running into the wind it was going to be a big effort. Hall struck first points in the second half with a penalty goal. Cooma had several chances, the closest when Credence was held up over the line, but silly mistakes and a lack of composure and not playing smart football cost Cooma a chance of posting further points.

Hall scored a late try to take the game 17-8. Points in second grade, one point Aron Rogers, two points Phil Johnson and three points and players player Credence.

First grade

First grade took to the field against a Hall side that had travelled light so with a number of their players having already played minutes in the second grade side it was going to be a tough ask for them to back up.

Cooma came out and from the opening whistle dominated the game playing structured running rugby with the forwards getting across the advantage line. Cooma posted first points when Tim Casanova brushed through the defence to score next to the posts.

Ryan Morgan converted and Cooma had an early lead. This was extended minutes later when Will Nicholls ran to the line and brushed through the defence to score out wide.

The rest of the half was dominated by Cooma playing good attacking football and having a number of chances. But good defence stopped Cooma from scoring further points. Hall had chances but good defence from Leighton Bates, Adam Schubert and Brett Jones stopped any attacking raids that Hall had started to build.

Cooma couldn't extend the lead although they were running with the wind and went into the break leading 14-0. Cooma came out after the break and running into the wind knew if they wanted to extend the lead they had keep ball in hand and that is exactly what they did.

Hall scored an early try but Cooma were playing with ball in hand and the forwards working as a unit were making good metres in around the ruck and on the back of this the Cooma backs were able to find room to run. This room allowed Tim Casanova to again run through the defence and crash over.

Cooma backed it up again this time the quick hands of the back line allowed Ryan Morgan to put Neil Schuten over out wide untouched. Cooma again got back into attacking position through the hard work of the forwards and again the backs were able to score with Will Nicholls getting his second for the afternoon.

Cooma ended the afternoon with Ryan Morgan swooping on a loose ball and sprinting 65 metres to score. He converted his own try and rounded out the game with Cooma winning 36-10. Points this week one point was shared between James Strange, Pat Egan, Damien Hopkins and Tom McGuire, two points Chris de Rooy, three points and players Ryan Morgan.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide