Three out of four for Red Devils

THE Cooma Red Devils had three wins on the weekend after playing on both Saturday and Sunday.

Reserves secured two wins, 14-8 against the Royal Military College on Saturday and 49-24 over ADFA on Sunday. First grade had a tough game against RMC going down 32-10, but got a win on the board against ADFA on Sunday winning 47-29.

Reserve grade v RMC

The Cooma Red Devils played a full weekend of football after playing on Saturday the Red devils backed up again on Sunday to play a catch up game that was a result of a wash out early in the season. Saturday's games saw Cooma take on the Royal Military College.

Cooma took to the field with close to a full strength squad and got away to a cracking start. From the kick off Cooma went the length of the field on the back of strong runs from Neil Schouten, Damien Allen and Cade Graf.

Cooma set up camp in RMC's half and Matt Crowley scored after a grubber kick in behind the line from Neil Schouten saw Matt run through and dive on the loose ball. Nathan Boate was unable to convert after the kick hit the post.

Cooma were playing well with the forwards making good metres and Eddie Thomas giving good direction from half back. This allowed the backs room to move and Mitch Clarke and Steven Boate were finding easy running metres out wide.

Cooma again got back into RMC's half and were awarded a penalty. This time Nathan Boate kicked a penalty goal to extend Cooma's lead.

Cooma had several chances to post further points but poor execution meant they couldn't finish off the attacking raids. Cooma posted more points with another penalty goal to Boate, to give the red men a 11-0 lead.

RMC hit back with a penalty of their own. This closed the gap but another penalty goal to Boate pushed the lead out again. A try to RMC on full time reduced the final score line to 14-8 to the Red Devils.

Points in second grade 1 point Damien Allen, 2 points and players' player Aron Crowe and 3 points Mitch Clarke.

First grade v RMC

First grade took to the field ready to get their season back on track but a very committed RMC side had other ideas and came to Cooma ready to show they are one of the sides to take notice of this year.

Cooma started well and both sides battled to find field position early. Cooma was first to score when Ryan Morgan crashed through the defence and scored.

He was unable to convert the try. RMC hit back with two tries of their own to take the lead. Cooma started to gain the upper hand with strong defence from Charlie McPhee, Leighton Bates and Brock Robinson which stopped the attacking raids of RMC.

The second half saw Cooma get away from its game structure and this allowed RMC to control the game by kicking two penalty goals and scoring one more try, Cooma scored a late try to Pat Egan which again Ryan Morgan was unable to convert and the final score saw RMC run out winners 32-10.

Points in first grade 1 point Charlie McPhee, 2 points Pat Egan, 3 points and Players' Player Leighton Bates.

Reserve grade v ADFA

The Cooma Red Devils backed up on Sunday this time taking on ADFA who had also played on Saturday against Goulburn in Goulburn.

Cooma reserve grade took to the field with another full strength side who were bolstered by the help of some of under 18s and some Cooma Stallion's players who had the weekend off.

Cooma got away to the perfect start when Mitch Clarke caught the kick off and ran 80 metres only to be caught just short of the try line. From the next phase Steven Boate dived over next to the post. Nathan Boate converted to take an early 7-0 lead.

Cooma scored again soon after a number of strong runs from Matt Crowley, James Ewart, Mitch Clarke and Nile Lewis who got Cooma on the front foot. This allowed Mitch Clarke to dive over from close range. Again Boate converted and Cooma had a 14-0 lead.

Cooma used the forwards and with Sam Hand, Liam Salt and Andrew Barron making good metres around the ruck, Cooma were soon on the board again when Steven Boate scored for his second try of the afternoon.

Boate was unable to convert but at 19-0 Cooma had established a good early lead. ADFA hit back late in the half to go into half time trailing 19-12. The second half saw the introduction of Steve Russell and Jake Schofield who made a big impact with strong runs and good defence.

Cooma scored again. This time young Arron, was able to use his pace and out flank the defence to score. Boate added the extras and it was 26-12.

ADFA hit back with a try of their own. This only spurred Cooma into action and they scored again. This time Damo Allen crashed over out wide. This was unconverted but Cooma had a 31-19 lead.

Cooma again extended the lead with a penalty goal to Nathan Boate. The Red Devils again found room to move out wide and Arron again showed his pace and scored his second try this was again converted and Cooma led 44-19. Cooma rounded out the day with a try to Jake Schofield, but a late try to ADFA on the stroke of full time saw the final score 49-24.

Points in second grade 1 point James Ewart, 2 points Nile Lewis, 3 points and players' player to the everywhere man Sam Hand.

First grade v ADFA

First Grade took to the field on Sunday afternoon ready to turn their season around after three losses already this season. Cooma started poorly losing possession from the kick off and having to defend their try line from the outset. For the first five minutes, Cooma defended stoutly as ADFA threw wave after wave of attack at the line.

This attack was halted when Nick Keighley took an intercept and ran 90 metres to score. Ryan Morgan missed the conversion, but Cooma had an early lead.

ADFA hit back with a try of their own, which seems to be a pattern that keeps appearing throughout the season so far. Cooma regained the lead with a try to Will Nicholls after strong runs from Liam Salt, Pat Egan and Brock Robinson got Cooma down into the ADFA half.

Morgan converted to give Cooma a 12-5 lead. Cooma extended its lead soon after with a try to Tim Williams who showed great evasive skills to beat a number of players and score out wide. This gave Cooma a 17-5.

After an injury to Ben Neilson, Cooma again went on the attack after Nick Keighley again scooped up another intercept and was ruled to of knocked on on the try line.

Cooma then turned over the ball and from a grubber. through quick ball allowed Will Nicholls to score his second try. ADFA responded with a try close to half time to make it 22-12 at half time.

The second half saw Cooma look to play better field position and pin ADFA deep inside its own half. Cooma again scored early with a solo effort from young Salty who got a loose ball kicked ahead and ran through out sprinted the opposition and scored.

This extended Cooma's lead to 29-12 but again ADFA hit back with a runaway try to narrow the lead to 29-19. A penalty goal to Morgan extended the lead by three again ADFA hit back with another try but for the last 20 minutes Cooma picked up its intensity and on the back of this Matthew Moxon was able to score after good hands from the backs allowed a Nick Keighley to flick pass to Mocco and put him in in the corner.

Cooma scored soon after when Ryan Morgan crashed through the defence to make the score 42-19. From the kick off Nathan Boate caught a miss directed kick off and found himself in the loose but was run down with 10 meters to go, from the ensuing plays quick hands saw Jimmy Nichols over out wide for another five pointer. Cooma had one last crack at ADFA but an intercept saw ADFA run 95 meters and score to make the final score 47-29.

Points in First Grade, 1 point Matthew Jamieson, 2 points Will Nicholls and 3 Points and players player Nick Keighley.

Again the Red Devils would like to thank all those people that played over the weekend. Next week see's Cooma at home again taking on Yass its old boys day as well so get down to Rotary Oval and see a good afternoon rugby with reserve grade kicking off at 1pm followed by firsts.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide