Mixed results for Cooma Red Devils

Tom Moxon. Photos: Helen Boate.

Tom Moxon. Photos: Helen Boate.

James Strange.

James Strange.

THE Cooma Red Devils travelled to ADFA on Saturday to take on the army gentlemen, but came away with mixed results with reserve grade winning convincingly while first grade went down in a close game that they should of won.


Reserve grade took to the field ready to make up for their loss against Goulburn last weekend.

From the kick off Cooma set about attacking and after the forwards took two hit ups the backs spread it wide and Andrew Stewart showed his pace down the side line only to be tackled inches short of the try line, a quick pass from Nathan Boate had Eddie Thomas diving over in the corner for the opening points of the afternoon.

Cooma was soon in again this time it was Neil Schouten who caught the ADFA defence out when he took a quick tap and ran through the retreating players and scored. Nathan Boate converted and Cooma was on a roll, with the game been played at a frantic pace all structure had gone out the window and with this Cooma lost its direction but Cooma's solid defence wasn't letting the army boys through.

With Cooma's forwards leading the way with strong runs from Tom Moxon, Sam Hand and Brad Evans allowing Cooma to get into good field position.

Cooma was soon over again when Pat Egan found space out wide through a dummy, beat a would be defender and scored, Boate again converted and Cooma had an early 19 nil lead.

Cooma extended its lead before half time with Pat Egan scoring after James Strange had gone agonisingly close after a bustling 20 meter run. It was again converted and Cooma went to half time leading 26-0.

After half time Cooma again came out attacking and from an early turnover Pat Egan again ran over six or seven would be defenders to score.

Cooma was back on the attack after James Ewart and Matt Crowley were making easy meters through the centres, this allowed the Schouten brothers room to move and this allowed Ben to burst through and score.

With Matt Crowley taking over the kicking duties he kicked the conversion to take the lead to 38-0. ADFA hit back with an intercept try to give them seven points. Cooma again responded with Ryan Morgan scoring a long range try by out pacing the opposition wingers and fullback it was again converted and Cooma lead 45-7.

James Strange extended the lead further when he finally crashed over after beating a number of defenders and scored. Cooma wrapped up the scoring late in the match after Damien Allen ran a good inside ball drew the full back and put Schouten over under the posts for the final try.

This meant that the final score was 57-7. Points in second grade 1 point James Ewart, 2 points Damien Allen, 3 points Tom Moxon and Players player Ben Schouten.


First grade took to the field ready to make up for last week's close loss to Goulburn but things didn't start how Cooma wanted with ADFA catching the kick off spreading the ball wide and their winger showing a clean pair of heels to run away and score under the posts.

This fired Cooma up and for the next twenty minutes played some of the best structured rugby that they had played all season, on the back of this Matthew Moxon was able score out wide with a missed conversion ADFA had an early 7-5 lead.

With Cooma playing the better football and Tom Ladhams and Ryan Morgan finding plenty of room and meters through the middle of the field, this then allowed Cooma's loose forwards of Phil Johnson, Leighton Bates and Pat Egan room to run wider off the ruck and from this Pat Egan was able to find his way to the try line, Morgan converted and Cooma had regained the lead.

The lead was extended further when the Cooma forwards were able to get quick ball and the backs combined for a blind side raid which found Morgan on an inside ball who was able to sprint away and score under the posts.

He converted his own try to extend the lead to 19-7. Cooma then switched off and allowed ADFA back into the game and they scored a try just before half time to go into half down 19-14.

After half time Cooma's intensity and talk dropped off and ADFA lifted their intensity and this was causing Cooma major problems at the break down with ADFA really attacking Cooma's ball and creating numerous turnovers.

Steven Boate and Will Nicholls were really troubling ADFA around the rucks but it was the turnovers that were releasing the pressure and from this ADFA were able to score two tries and regain the lead. ADFA kept on the attack and scored twice to extend their lead out to 36-19.

With ten minutes to go Cooma rallied and Pat Egan was able to find his way across the line for his fifth try of the afternoon after scoring three in reserve grade.

With time against Cooma, Morgan took a quick conversion and Cooma went on the attack from the kick off with all forwards making strong runs. Cooma was soon attacking ADFA's line and with this Matt Jamieson was held up over the line but after the scrum and from the ensuing ruck James Strange was able to crash over and score next to the posts.

With time up on the clock Morgan kicked the conversion but it wasn't enough with Cooma going down 36-33.

Points in first grade 1 point Steven Boate, 2 points Will Nicholls, 3 points Tom Ladhams and Players Player Sam Hand who played two full games for the afternoon.

Cooma are at home again next week so come down to Rotary oval next Saturday afternoon and watch the Red Devils take on Hall.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide