Red Devils run riot

FIRST grade took to the field on Saturday afternoon in front of a small dedicated crowd who came out and braved the elements.

Cooma ran out ready to make up from last week's close loss to ADFA and from the kick off controlled the game and after three minutes Cooma had opened the scoring with a try to Matthew Moxon who found space straight through the middle of the Hall defenders to score.

Ryan Morgan added the extra two and Cooma had the early lead. Minutes later Cooma was in again. This time it was Ryan Morgan who showed a clean pair of heels to out flank the opposition from deep within his own half and make his way to the try line where he unselfishly offloaded to captain Leighton Bates who scored the try. Morgan was unable to convert from out wide and Cooma was out to a 12-0 lead.

With Cooma's forwards charging ahead on the back of strong runs from Phil Johnson, Andrew Rolfe and James Strange this was allowing for quick ball and with that the Cooma backs had room to move. Cooma's third try came about when the ball came shooting out of a scrum and Steven Boate picked it up looked up and ran straight through a hole next to the scrum to score under the posts. Morgan converted for a 19-0 lead. Cooma was in minutes later.

Again it was quick hands through the backline and Leighton Bates with soft hands put a ball in the hole for Mocco to sprint through and score untouched. This gave Cooma a 24-0 lead.

Hall hit back with a try of their own after a mistake from Cooma allowed the winger to pick up a loose ball and dive over. Hall then lifted and it was Leighton Bates who came up with one of the plays of the afternoon after he chased down a 70 metre break and came up with a try saving tackle on the try line which caused the Hall player to knock on and give Cooma back the ball. Cooma then responded with another try.

This time Jimmy Nichols picked up a ball that came out of a ruck and dived over under the posts. Morgan again converted for a 31-5 lead at half time. Cooma came out and continued on with the way they had been playing and after strong runs from Will Nicholls and Mat Jamieson, Cooma was on the attack again and Jimmy Nichols was able to dive over from close range.

Cooma had a 38-5 lead but with Hall starting to spoil the clean ball Cooma was getting and some niggle starting to creep into the game, Cooma decided to take a penalty goal to settle things down and regroup. Cooma dropped its intensity and allowed Hall two score two tries and reduce the lead to 41-17.

The Red Devils regrouped and responded with a 60 metre try to Phil Johnson who found room to move out wide went through the defensive line and sprinted away to score under the posts. Cooma again scored minutes later this time Pat Egan was able to find his way across the line and with another successful conversion Cooma had cracked the half century.

Leading 55-17 Cooma switched off for the last five minutes and Hall scored a late try to wrap the game up 55-22.

Points in first grade 1 point Ryan Morgan, 2 points Phil Johnson, 3 points Leighton Bates and Players player Will Nicholls.

Cooma is at home again next week against Yass so it would be good to see a large crowd to support the Red Devils in their quest to make the finals.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide