Maurie relives 1984 premiership win

Cooma Cats premiership winning coach, Maurie Hore, still gets a kick out of the 1984 grand final victory.

Cooma Cats premiership winning coach, Maurie Hore, still gets a kick out of the 1984 grand final victory.

AS the final siren loomed large, an epic encounter was decided by shear brilliance. The Cooma Cats were trailing deep into the final quarter of the 1984 2B Monaro AFL grand final. A young Cat broke clear of the congestion in the middle of the Yass Showground. Running and bouncing, running and bouncing.

He dropped the ball onto his left foot and through the goals it sailed. The Cats were the 1984 premiers, a milestone they will mark this Saturday when past players and officials gather to commemorate 30 years since the Cats premiership.

It is a moment Maurie Hore, coach of the premiership side, remembers vividly. "My biggest memory of the game was the last quarter. The lead kept changing back and forth," Mr Hore said.

"The crowd also sticks out. There was a Cooma chant going up around the ground which spurred the players on."

The current crop of Cooma players will line up against Eastlakes this weekend in front off the largest crowd to gather at Snowy Oval in many seasons.

From Perth, Brisbane and Sydney former greats of the club will converge to cast their eye over the new talent running around.

"I'm looking forward to catching up with the past players and officials," Mr Hore said.

"There is someone from Perth coming back and the captain of the 1984 side, Peter Dean, will be in attendance."

As Maurie takes the trip down memory lane he says the Cats won the match against all odds.

"We weren't expected to win this game. The premiership medallions were in the colours of the opposition.The runner up medallions were in our colours.'

"The league committee then wanted to swap the medals and I told him there was no way that would happen."

The afternoon of September 15, 1984, will go down in local sporting folklore for at least another 30 years. The premiership side had a team boasting with talent.

"We had one bloke who would've made it in the Victorian League had he not busted his two legs," Mr Hore said.

"He still dominated locally and we were fortunate to obtain players who were in town working on the ski tube."

While the 1984 grand final was in the balance, president Des Smith came bounding over to coach Maurie.

"With only about ten minutes to go Des [Smith] gave me a nudge and asked what I thought of our chances."

"We both believed the win was ours and he came back with two bottles of champagne before the match was over."

Supporters of the Cooma Cats are invited to watch this weekend's clash, which will have a masters game played before hand. Proceeding the match a function will be held back at the Alpine Hotel.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide