AFTER FOUR days, the search for a man missing in the waters off Lake Eucumbene has been called off.
A 57-year-old man from Sydney was fishing with his son when he fell out of small 4.4 5 metre alloy Ally Craft motorboat at about 6pm on Wednesday.
Monaro Local Area Comand Inspector Peter Rooney said at this stage the search has been suspended, with no sign of the missing man.
"The man was not in good health and had been driving the small motor boat. He went to the back of the boat, lost his footing and fell overboard," Inspector Rooney said.
The man was wearing gumboots and heavy clothing at the time.
The man's 27-year-old son also lost his footing as he went to help his father and also fell overboard.
The man's son searched for about 40 minutes in the water but was unable to find his father.
Inspector Rooney said the boat was still going at trawling speed, got away and the man's son had to swim to the shore with the water temperature at 8 degrees to raise the alarm.
The man then travelled on foot for around five hours before raising the alarm at Anglers Reach.
A search was launched at around 1am on Thursday involving police from Monaro Local Area Command, Marine Rescue NSW and the Snowy Hydro SouthCare Rescue Helicopter.
Further police resources, PolAir and State Emergency Service crews were called in to help in the search on Thursday
Inspector Rooney said the two local police boats were used in the search of the lake along with two other Marine Rescue NSW boats, police divers a helicopter and SES on the ground.
"Four police divers using sonar and scanning equipment scanned the area," Inspector Rooney said.
Inspector Rooney said conditions were calm at the time of the incident but people should be aware that conditions can change quickly on alpine waters.
"Wearing lifejackets in smaller boats - 4.8 metres and under is mandatory."
An avid fisherman, the missing man has been coming to the area for about 20 years. Neither men were wearing lifejackets at the time of the incident.